Some Things That I Love

Some Things That I Love

Getting to know Tracey

Ever since I was a young girl growing up in a small town in New Jersey, I’ve loved live theater. I lived close enough to New York City to attend plays on Broadway. My mom and dad enjoyed plays too so tickets were a regular for Christmas, birthdays, and special events. In high school, I had a teacher who would buy blocks of tickets to off-Broadway shows, load us up on a school bus for the bumpy stinky hour-long commute and take us in to the city. Once in a while we got to meet a cast member.

Now that I’m an adult, I still love live theater. I’ve been attending productions at theaters around Hollywood for over twenty years. This was the first year I purchased season tickets to the Broadway series at The Pantages.

Seeing eight live theatrical productions may not land on the “ordinary” side of my grateful equation, but here’s why it’s important to me:  My family loves live theater too. I met my husband, Tom, when we worked together on the 1994 Primetime Emmy Awards, and he spent nine years as the Head Carpenter at The Kodak Theater, also in Hollywood. Over the years, we worked on a few shows together and, once in a while, when he wasn’t backstage, we sat next to each other in the audience. Now, our daughter loves live theater too. She’s a sophomore in high school and has been performing since she was in second grade. She’s my date for every show.

What could otherwise be just another day at the theater, an enjoyable day to be sure, is a day we share a common passion. Each day we see a show is a day we sing show tunes in the car at the top of our lungs—usually the Wicked or Pippin soundtracks—and share those tunes with friends who also love them. We commune over a meal, almost always at Miceli’s near Universal. We compare favorite moments. In other words, we connect. We connect on a deep level. The hours we spend taking in a show, on any other day, might be hours she spends texting her friends and I spend writing at my computer. Instead, we spend them mindfully engaged with each other and, gasp, together!

I’m thankful for so much that live theater has brought to my life, but nothing more than the connection it helps me forge with my husband, my daughter and with dear friends.

The ceiling of the gorgeous Pantages.

My theater tattoo!

• 19 May 2015
  • Author: Tracey Yokas
  • Number of views: 1684
  • Comments: 6

6 comments on article "Some Things That I Love"

Wendy Goldstein

5/19/2015 3:46 PM

What a wonderful testament to CONNECTING! Our girls will always have these memories and hopefully will foster a love of live theater to their children as well. Thank you for connecting with Emily and I and we look forward to keeping this tradition alive!

Tracey Yokas

5/20/2015 10:05 AM

Thank you Wendy. We had a blast this season. I know we will next time too! Can't wait for another round of togetherness. XO

Maria

5/19/2015 9:25 PM

I love theater, too, Tracey! What a wonderful way to re-fuel our creative souls.

Tracey Yokas

5/20/2015 10:06 AM

I know you do Maria! Thanks for taking the time to leave a note. I look forward to sharing this journey with you. XO

Susan Schwartz

5/19/2015 11:11 PM

How wonderful that you got to see plays in NYC when you were growing up! The idea that your parents shared their love of theater with you, and you and Tom have fostered this love within your daughter, is beautiful.

The first professional play my husband and I took our kids to was The Lion King, at The Pantages. The kids weren't excited beforehand. They had no idea what was in store for them! The show was spectacular, of course, and they were mesmerized!

I love your tattoo. Theater is in your blood. And on your skin.

Tracey Yokas

5/20/2015 10:07 AM

Lion King is spectacular..and yes, It sure is, Susan. On my skin I mean. :)

x

New Book

"Your book is coming together in a great story that I believe will touch people wholeheartedly. You are taking what was, at times, a very sad and difficult journey, and creating a way to share it and encourage others to maintain the course, to hope, to keep moving forward towards a better life. That's an incredible thing. The path that led you to here, to writing this book, to morph it as you went along, is coming together beautifully. That path, like ourselves and our lives,hasn't been "perfect"... but the end product will be amazing and change lives for the better."

- Susan S.

Stay Informed

We'll let you know whenever we add something new to the website like a new book or a new resource. You can unsubscribe at any time and we'll never give your email to others.