Hello Stretch gang! I am eager to get started. (If you missed my first post on this topic, read it here.)
Please read this post to completion. It contains important information and instructions. And a request.
The basic guidelines and preliminary schedule are detailed below. The first post for the Introduction and Chapter 1 will be released on January 18. I will spearhead this first post.
1. As with any public forum, rules of decorum prevail. We will respect each other’s opinions. We are free, of course, to disagree, but will do so with utmost respect. If we don’t understand a comment, we’ll ask. If we’d like further discussion on a topic, we’ll generate it. Please remember that this is only the second time I’m trying this format. If you don’t like the way we’re doing something, don’t hesitate to let me know and we’ll try to figure out a change together. (I reserve the right to delete any comment I find offensive or inappropriate.)
2. Remember: This is a public forum so comment accordingly. Don’t tell the group deeply personal information if it makes you uncomfortable.
3. If it is not your week to spearhead, leave your comment in the comment section (below) under the week’s post. Check back once in a while during the week and see if you’d like to make additional comments based on what others are saying.
4. If you are spearheading the chapter for the week, please remember to email your comments to me at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday morning. (I need time to generate the post and/or ask questions and get responses.) As far as length goes, if you’re a writing type person, try to keep your post in the 600-800 word range. (If you’re like me, achieving that goal may be hard! I tend to go long.) If you’re not a writing type person that means up to about 3 pages or so, double spaced. To find out how many words your post contains, look in the lower left hand corner of the document. Microsoft Word keeps track there for you of word count.
5. If you haven’t signed up to receive my email newsletter, please do so before we begin. Go to the Home Page and scroll down until you see Stay Informed. Enter your name and email address and click Subscribe. You’ll get a confirmation email in your inbox. Click the link to confirm.
How it works:
1. If you are spearheading the chapter, you will get your Word document to me on Wednesday prior to your scheduled day (see below for schedule).
2. Using your material, I will generate the post and it will go out via email on Thursday morning to everyone who is signed up to receive my newsletter. As soon as it goes out, the comment section is open for use.
3. Everyone who agreed to participate will leave at least one comment. Let’s have fun! We have a diverse group with many perspectives. We even have one courageous gentleman joining us again. You ROCK Xeno! I'm stoked to hear his ideas...and everyone's. Let’s learn as much as we can from each other and grow in our knowledge.
4. If you’re particularly excited one week (or more) about the dialogue we’re generating, feel free to share it with friends you think might also be interested.
Schedule and Spearheaders:
(Yes, I made that word up! We have more participants than chapters, so I entered everyone’s name into a basket and randomly selected. If you do not want to spearhead, let me know ASAP and I will make another selection. If you have a conflict with the date your assigned to spearhead, let me know ASAP and I’ll arrange a swap.)
Chapter Spearheader Date of Post (sent to me the prior day to email@example.com.)
Chapter 1 Tracey Yokas January 18, 2018
Chapter 2 Marci Goldberg January 25
Chapter 3 Kelly Alblinger February 1
Chapter 4 Heather Higinbotham February 8
Chapter 5 Xeno Hemlock February 15
Chapter 6 Patty Young February 22
Chapter 7 Jyotsna Uppal March 1
Chapter 8 Christine O'Connor March 8
Chapter 9 Sarah Hunter March 15
(If you really wanted to spearhead but your name wasn't selected, I'm sorry. And please let me know. If someone from this list needs to drop out, I'll choose a replacement(s) from those who contact me.)
Questions to help you if you feel stuck: (You do NOT have to use these questions. I wanted to have suggestions in case someone needs a little help getting started.)
1. Does the issue in this chapter affect your life? How so, directly?
2. Pick a specific passage to discuss that struck you as significant or interesting. What was memorable about it and why?
3. What have you learned from this chapter? How has it broadened your perspective and how do you plan to incorporate into your life?
4. How does what Scott writes in this chapter coincide with how you were raised to understand success? Is "making the most out of a little" a fit with your basic character and/or upbringing or is this something you have to learn to incorporate in your life now?
I know this is a lot of information to take in at one time. Don’t worry; we’re going to take this adventure one week at a time!
Now that you’ve finished reading these guidelines, please take a second to comment (below) and tell us a few sentences about yourself, if you have ideas about what you’re hoping to gain by joining us here, and any other tidbit you’d like us to know.
LET’S GET READING AND LEARN HOW TO HELP EACH OTHER STRETCH!